Tim Holtz - Creative Chemistry 101 class - Day 8  - Paints

Created: March 29, 2012

I decided to take Tim's 2 week class - Chemistry 101. These samples are from Day 8.

Oh boy crackle paste takes ages to dry but is a really nice effect and well worth the effort...

I seemed to be in a very brownish mood for these tags... not my usual color palette


Dabber Resist:

The Dabber resist can be done on most surfaces, but Tim did his on Sticky Back Canvas, so I decided to do the same...

Stamped the flourish (Lost Coast Rubber "Lily Flourish") with Snow Cap acrylic paint dabber and dried (clean stamp IMMEDIATELY). Smeared various Distress Stains (Broken China, Dried Marigold, Shabby Shutters, Tea Dye, Walnut Stain & Dusty Concord) all over, mist with water, dab stains off flourish, dry, repeat if necessary. Adhere to manila tag, which I sponged with tea dye and walnut stain.

Crackle Paint Resist:

This crackle didn't take excessively long to dry... it was put on not as thick as the next tag, only peanut butter thickness. I like the grungy look to it.

Applied Old Paper from right to left on manila tag, then added some Faded Jeans on top of it... (Tim only used one color). Allow to dry and crackle. Sponge various Distress inks (Worn Lipstick, Mustard Seed, Spiced Marmalade, Shabby Shutters, Walnut Stain and Vintage Photo.

Stamp your background stamps (Kaiser Craft "Tic Toc") with Distress inks (Walnut Stain) which will be resisted from the crackle areas. You can leave it on the resisted areas or wipe it off. I wiped off.

Stamp your focal image/s (C.H.F. "Time to Stamp" set & Tim's "Life's Possibilities" Clear stamp) with Archival black.

Stamped the word (Hero Arts "Happy Letters" alphabet set) with the snow cap dabber, dried and shadow outlined with a Zig Writer.

Sponged Walnut Stain and Vintage Photo around edges of tag.


Shattered Stains:

Probably should have kept the  main tag a lighter color... c'est la vie.

Die cut the Grunge paper using Tim's movers and shapers butterfly dies. Put Rock Candy crackle past on the butterflies and the negative piece (cake icing thick...). I allowed it to dry for about an hour, helped it a long a bit with my heat gun, but it was still not done, so left it over night...

In the meantime I went direct to paper on the manila tag with Distress Walnut Stain, which gave me nice streaks. Sponged Scattered Straw & Vintage Photo, misted with water and dried. Stamped a large background stamp (C.H.F. "Montana Tree Bark") with Archival Black.

Stamped the words (Just Rite "Brayton" alphabet set) with Versafine Black Onyx and applied Blockheads Glue Powder on the "Grunge" word, heated to activate and dropped my gold leaf onto the heated surface. Removed excess gold leaf. - Must admit this stuff is not that good with detail areas... very grungy BIG GRIN.

Colored the butterflies and negative piece with Distress Stains (Top BFly: Mustard Seed, Worn Lipstick, Shabby Shutters, Spiced Marmalade), (Bottom BFly: Broken China, Shabby Shutters, Mustard Seed & Dusty Concord), (Neg Pce: Pumice Stone, Walnut Stain), dried, edged each piece with Walnut Stain. Adhered the neg piece with Glossy Accents. Adhered the BFlies also with Gloosy Accents but only on the body area.


Return to TH Chemistry 101 or  to  NittyGritty  Gallery

BACK to see Day 7 or to see Day 9


Home Page Index
(text only)
"And More"