ID: CBHDec2_TH_HollySG2
Dec 2, 2008 - Red & Green

TH - Holly Cards SG

 "5"w x 7"h each
I was checking out Tim Holtz blog again and he's started the 12 Days of Christmas Tags (one per day) and one of the techniques is what I used for my background on both cards.

The technique starts out with Alcohol Inks and glossy white cardstock. On a melt art mat dribble some mixative (I used silver), then drizzle and drop a couple colors of alcohol inks (I used Red Chili & Bottle Green), then drizzle some Blending solution. Lay your cardstock glossy side down and twist a bit. Continue laying down in new puddles until card is coated. You can drizzle more blending solution if needed. Continue doing this with subsequent cardstock until you've used up all the alcohol inks. I got 2 nice 4.25 x 6.25" pieces.

The #1 card below was the first card I did. Rubber stamped the holly sprig (The Peddler's Pack Stampworks) using Distress Weathered Wood stamp pad (yes, a dye ink stamp pad) and embossing with Emerald embossing powder. Then I stamped my sentiment (Quietfire Design from the New 2008 Xmas Rubber set) with black Staz On stamp pad. It lifted a bit of my silver and came out a pale shade of black so I went over the letters with a black Sharpie pen. Rounded the corners on each layer. Mounted to a Heritage red cardstock then onto a Heritage green cardstock.

I wasn't that happy with the sentiment running into the holly sprig, so I thought I'd do another one and mask the sentiment area. Voila #2 was created.

ID: CBHDec2_TH_HollySG1


There are a couple of differences between both cards. I rubber stamped the sentiments with black Staz On and wasn't happy again, because it lifted some of the silver and was a pale black. I realize now with the alcohol background and the alcohol in the stamp pad, the two just didn't work. I then over stamped with a black Archival stamp pad and accidentally twisted the stamp so my sentiment was a little unsightly. Frustrated, I wiped the area with a rag and very interestingly created a silver shadowy ghost image (I guess this technique is similar to my TH Glass ATCs I made in August/08). Anyway I stamped the sentiment again with Archival ink and still didn't like it so over stamped again with Distress Black Soot and embossed with Hematite. I was content now... Sheesh. Another difference is I then masked my sentiment area before rubber stamping my Holly sprig (same as above). And the third difference is the reverse of the colored cardstock, mounted to green then to the red main card.

I'm very happy with the outcome of both cards. I like the TH technique.


ID: CBHDec2_TH_HollySG1 Detail


ID: CBHDec2_TH_HollySG2 Detail


Please use your computer's back button for previous images Thank You

or click Home for the Created By Hand challenge Gallery 


Home Page Index
(text only)
"And More"