ID: ByHandArtist Background Swap Bound

Created May 14, 2008

Book  (closed): approx 7.5"w x 8"h x 1" thk.

One of my Yahoo groups had a background swap in March of 2008, hosted by Donna C. We were 13 participants, each making enough of our favorite background for each person. Finally I bound it.

Don't ask what all the background papers are that I used for the cover and inside flaps etc..... I can't remember. I have vague recollections of what I did, Big Grin. All these backgrounds were made quite some time ago, nothing was made today. I finally raided my stash.

I know there's a slurry casting (white piece) using a texture plate. A mold made from a rubber stamp (Quietfire Design Flourish) and then I used paper clay, colored it in with a brown Pan pastel and rubbed some Rub Ons over the high points. The piece with the quote is Portfolio crayons and the quote rubber stamped onto it (Quietfire Design "Art is letting"). Faux batik with wax (upper right hand corner). Also watercolor backgrounds made in a class years ago.

The whole book is put together with glue (Aleene's Original Tacky Glue, Elmer's Stick Glue & my ATG tape)

BkgrdSwapBound_Cover  Viewed from the front




Front detail #1a


Front detail #1b        

BkgrdSwapBound_Title     BkgrdSwapBound_TitleDetail   

Title page & detail of letters

I started out with 65# white cardstock. Scored it on the vertical at around 1.25" from edge, then 3" from bottom on the horizontal (to create my pocket). Cut off the little overlapping rectangle. Glued the edges of the pocket. I made one page with the pocket to the front and one with the pocket to the back, then used my ATG tape to glue the two pages together on the backs.  The vertical strip is still loose and will be glued to another vertical strip at the end, when all my pages are created. 

I used photo corners to attach each background (so they're removable if I want to use one) and attached the instructions to the front of the pocket. There's room in the pockets for more background samples when I start creating some.

After putting all the backgrounds on the pages, I adhered the vertical strips, now making the pages all connect to each other. Almost like a glued spine. Although I must admit my spine was a little bit of an eye sore, so I made a spine cover using primed canvas, painting it in yellows, red and brown, and then gluing it to a flap and to the covers which are made from left over red mat board. I added the title using a Zig marker. I glued my covers to the canvas pieces and then put some red brads along each back edge of the covers. I had also edged the covers with a red Zig marker.

All the letters in the title are punched out using either a Sizzix or Sizzlits die. I raided my stash for this too.








Should you wish to go back to the Hand Bound Books  Gallery please click on the link below.

Hand Bound Books Gallery




Home Page Index
(text only)
"And More"