ID: Altered Shoe - Frog Prince
Size 7 1/2 shoe with 3" heel

Created: August, 2011

After making the first shoe, I was inspired, and since I still had the second shoe from the pair, I figured why waste it, so created this one...

So it started out as a fabric multi colored shoe.


I used the template from the first shoe for the insert, wrote my words with my Sumi and pointed Nikko G nib on Genoa bond paper using my funky lettering style. Sponged distress (Scattered Straw, Crushed Olive, Frayed Burlap) misted with water and dried. Stamped my frog with Versafine Spanish Moss & a bit of Habenero and clear embossed, then adhered it to the shoe.

Love the words... "There's a frog in my shoe, oh, what should I do?"

On the front side of the shoe it continues with "Kiss him of course".

And then on the other side of the shoe it says "Fairytales do come true..."




I gave the shoe a coat of Daniel Smith Venetian Red gesso, let dry, then a coat of D.S. Gold gesso. I love their gessoes. I kept the sole on this shoe the Venetian Red color.

Then smeared Liquitex glass beads on my craft mat, dropped some alcohol inks over them in Butterscotch, Espresso & Citrus, then used a palette knife to smear it on the shoe and while wet, applied Flower Soft in a red/green mixture, in sections, pressing down to adhere well. Let dry.

Die cut the Flourishes (Sizzix Tim's Elegant Flourish) from Grunge paper. Painted with dark umber acrylic paint on both sides.

Electronically cut several sizes of 2 different flowers from a pink toned vellum paper. The largest being 2.5" and the smallest around 1.75". I then added lines to each petal using a Paper Mate Eraser mate med red pen and embossing with white embossing powder.

Note: This pen stays juicy on the surface for a long time, so it's easy to write or draw and then emboss your design. Love it.

Used a large balled stylus to shape the petals so they stand out a bit. Punched the daisy (Michaels Recollections small 48 daisy) center from some decorative rice paper I had made eons ago. adhered it to the flower with white glue. Added the yellow half pearls with some heavy gel medium.

Die cut a bunch of leaves (Spellbinders Folige #S4-328 set) from some white cardstock I had adhered colored Kleenex tissue paper to. I sponged the backs with Distress Forest Moss.

Something I discovered was writing on vellum and then clear embossing it. Stamping on vellum takes forever to dry if it dries at all, so I usually give it a coat of clear embossing, so when I was using my Sumi ink, the thought went through my head to try embossing that, since the ink would stay wet for a long time, and it worked. It gave the ink a beautiful charcoal color rather than the black it is, which was great for this, not so harsh. I used a yellow vellum.

Everything, unless otherwise noted, was adhered with Golden's Extra Heavy Gel Medium.



Return to  NittyGritty  Gallery

or click next to see the first altered shoe.




Home Page Index
(text only)
"And More"